The Washington Teaching License has two parts, the Teaching Certificate and Endorsements.  The certificate includes a unique ID number for each individual that is carried throughout their career.  Endorsements define the subject content where teachers can be properly assigned.  Endorsements can be added at anytime and unlike the certificate, they never expire.  When a teacher moves from the Resident to the Professional teaching certificate (typically within 5 years), all endorsements carry forward.

What is the professional certificate?

The Professional Certificate is earned by passing the ProTeach assessment.  All Washington teachers what begin with a Residency Certificate and work in Washington public schools must attain the Professional Certificate. 

The typical time line for professional certification takes place between a teachers third and fifth year of teaching.  Those that do not pass the ProTeach may apply for a reissued certificate (time line extension) though OSPI.

Is my out-of-state college or university program accredited?

The six regional accrediting bodies are:
  • Middle States, Association of Colleges and Schools
  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges
  • North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
  • Northwest Association of School and Colleges
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges