Teaching Certificates

What types of teaching certificates are available?

The first-level teaching certificate in Washington State:
  • Residency Teacher Certificate - The first tier certificate most teachers in Washington receive. if you are investigating the possibility of being a teacher for the first time, this will be your starting point.  
Other certificate types are available, depending on the subject you want to teach:
  • Career and Technical Education Certificate - Issued to teachers who go through a specialized preparation program to teach in one of four broad subject areas (agriculture education, business and marketing education, family and consumer sciences education, and technology education), or for people coming from a business and industry background who are interested in teaching in their area of business and industry expertise in K-12 schools.
  • Substitute Teacher Certificate - Allows someone who is qualified for full certification to substitute teach in a classroom.
Additionally, Limited Certificates exist in order to help school districts fulfill emergency needs: